Does the initial postgres user have a password?

From: "dandl" <david(at)andl(dot)org>
To: "'Postgres General'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Does the initial postgres user have a password?
Date: 2016-05-03 11:22:45
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a new 9.5 installation, Windows x64, developer only. No users have been added, and no passwords set.

I can access the system:

* using pgAdmin3, without specifying a user or password

* using psql, specifying user ‘postgres’ but no password

I cannot access the system with various other tools that require a connection string eg

password authentication failed for user "postgres"

There is a ‘postgres’ user defined in pg_shadow with password of : "md5a19959576d12fc69375fc3dadaeab90b"

What is going on here? Is there a password for user ‘postgres’ or isn’t there? What is it? Why don’t I need it sometimes, and I do other times?

Regards

David M Bennett FACS

_____

Andl - A New Database Language - andl.org