Bug fetching Timestamps in JDBC driver 9.4.1209

From: Dumitru Boldureanu <dboldureanu(at)inthergroup(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Bug fetching Timestamps in JDBC driver 9.4.1209
Date: 2016-08-10 15:46:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs

We noticed, what seems to be a bug in JDBC driver 9.4.1209.

The bug was detected in an application that is testing database migration scripts. The application is comparing through JDBC the data before and after the execution of the migration scripts.

We noticed that for timestamp columns we were getting changes, which do not actually exist.
And these changes are not static, the records and tables in which we get them are random.

We’ve fought a lot with this issue, checked for unclosed connections, results sets, etc.
The solution was to replace the JDBC driver 9.4.1209 with 9.4-1201, and the random timestamps values disappeared.

Noticed in the release of 9.4.1209, mentioned: * Performance optimization for timestamps (~TimeZone.getDefault optimization)
Maybe it added a bug? Tried to google and found no one complaining on this issue.

Kind regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Met vriendelijke groeten / Cu respect / 顺祝商祺,
Dumitru Boldureanu