hardware mod based on feedback from the list

From: "Joel Fradkin" <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: hardware mod based on feedback from the list
Date: 2005-01-27 16:51:18
Lists: pgsql-sql

Thanks so much to everyone who jumped in both on a config and now the
hardware side of things.

I did modify my order on the new equipment to include a powervault 220 (just
a bunch of drives)

I added a controller card and 4 10 k drives for data raid 10 and 2 15 k
drives raid 1 for WAL. I will use the array (internal to the 6650) that the
OS is on for the syslog.

I was told the Xeon processors will do fine up to 64gig. I realize the 64bit
chips may be faster, but it is also new and I feel safer with existing
technologies and hardware vendors.

My understanding is that CPU (4 Xeon 3gig processors) will not be a issue,
but hopefully adding the additional drive systems will help the most for IO
is what I am told is the big issue and hopefully utilizing the
recommendation will help minimize the bottleneck.

Joel Fradkin