RE: [HACKERS] postgresql-v6.5beta2.tar.gz ...

From: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Vadim Mikheev" <vadim(at)krs(dot)ru>
Cc: "The Hermit Hacker" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] postgresql-v6.5beta2.tar.gz ...
Date: 1999-06-08 01:08:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I have noticed the same thing But at that point my concern was
truncation of segmented relations. AFAIC concurrent xactions
invalidate relcache entry when StartTransaction() or Command-
CounterIncrement() is called. Unfortunately vacuum couldn't stop
other sessions from executing StartTransaction() nor Command-
CounterIncrement().

> more and more. Each MdfdVed requires own fd.c:Vfd entry -> below
>
> 2. fd.c:pg_nofile()->sysconf(_SC_OPEN_MAX) returns in FreeBSD
> near total number of files that can be opened in system
> (by _all_ users/procs). With total number of opened files
> ~ 2000 I can run your test with 10-20 simultaneous
> xactions for very short time, -:)

I have remembered another thing.
Someone has already reported to ML in Japan and I was able to
find the cause easily thanks to him.

vacuum calls open() directly to create pg_vlock file.
Sometimes I was not able to open the file because of the lack of
file descriptors().
FileNameOpenFile()/FileClose() etc should be called instead of
open()/close() etc ?

Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp