Retrieving column names and table names of a database

From: "Matthias Seiferth" <matthias(dot)seiferth(at)ipk(dot)fhg(dot)de>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Retrieving column names and table names of a database
Date: 1999-05-10 15:23:02
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,
, this may sound stupid, but is there a way of retrieving the table names and column names of a database using SQL. I know there is \d in psql, but I don´t know if there is something similar in SQL or if there is a function I can call.
Please reply even if there is no function

Thanks in advance for your help

Matthias
.