Best way to store and retrieve large objects in database for email program

From: "Greg" <greg(at)officium(dot)co(dot)za>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Best way to store and retrieve large objects in database for email program
Date: 2006-06-05 12:51:55
Lists: pgsql-general

I am creating an email client that will contain email messages. Now a
message may have multiple large attachments.

1.) Would the best way to store these large objects be in an oid field?

2.) I assume for performance reasons I should place these large objects
in a separate table called attachments. And create an attachments table for
each user?

3.) Only when a user clicks on an attachment to open it, should I use
server side SQL functions like lo_export and lo_open to read the data to a
file stream for my application to deal with?

Am I on the right track or can anybody recommend a better solution?