query configuration for validate empty quote to zero

From: "Yudie" <yudie(at)axiontech(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: query configuration for validate empty quote to zero
Date: 2005-01-17 18:44:20
Lists: pgsql-sql

We just changed the postgresql server and got some problem with sql command
in our old server we can exexute this query:

SELECT * FROM product WHERE prdtnumber = ''

field prdtnumber data type is integer and the empty quote somehow can be assumed into 0 (zero)
Now, if I use the same query it return an error:
invalid input syntax for integer: ""

Anyone know what's the problem??

Thanks

Yudie