Re: howto/min values

From: "Sjors" <jkwast(at)freeler(dot)nl>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: howto/min values
Date: 2003-03-19 13:27:43
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

My postings seem to double on me. Well thanks to everybody that answered. They were not the answers I was hoping for but, I found one in the docs. Let me explain again what I'm doing with a example:

table:

points id distance
1 25 0.26598333
1 32 0.65983600
1 56 1.23692000
2 96 120.26659366
2 32 0.54865130
etc

Now select for point 1 where id = min(distance). The trick I was suspecting but not been able to grasp is the use of aliases. In Bruce Momjian's "Postgresql: introduction and limitations" was an example like this with structure from the problem here:

select p.points, p.id, p.distance
from table as p
where distance = (select min(distance)
from table as p1
where p.points=p1points)
order by points, id

Now this works. So going to the next question, if distance is a calculated field how can I use it in the subquery. How do you add another alias in:

select p.points, p.id, (x-x) as distance
from table as p
where distance = (select min(distance)
from table as p1
where p.points=p1points)
order by points, id

This of course doesn't work, because of the referring to the calculated field wich is not actually a part of the table. Can you do this somehow or is it impossible?
Love to hear from you guys,

greetz Sjors