Re: Connection pooling.

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connection pooling.
Date: 2000-07-12 01:20:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> In an effort to complicate the postmaster beyond recognition I'm
> proposing an idea that I hope can be useful to the developers.

> Connection pooling:

> The idea is to have the postmaster multiplex and do hand-offs of
> database connections to other postgresql processes when the max
> connections has been exceeded.

AOLserver is one client that already does this, using the existing fe-be
protocol. It would be a good model to emulate -- although, to date, there
hasn't been much interest from the main developers on spending the time to do
this.

If you need or want this performance on a db-backed website, use AOLserver :-P
or some good connection pooling module for Apache, et al. PHP does a form of
persistent connections, but I don't know enough about them to know if they are
truly pooled (as AOLserver's are). I do know that AOLserver's pooling is a
major performance win.

As Ben has already said, this is a good place for client-side optimization,
which is really where it would get the most use anyway.

AOLserver has done this since around early 1995.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio