ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN syntax question.

From: "Robert B(dot) Easter" <reaster(at)comptechnews(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN syntax question.
Date: 2000-07-06 03:51:04
Lists: pgsql-sql

I used the command below to alter a table and it took with no problem, but the
REFERENCES appears to have been ignored since I can put invalid numbers into
last_post_id. Are there plans to add the ability to specify column
constrainsts with ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN in the future? For now, I suppose I
can use ALTER TABLE ADD CONSTRAINT to make a table constraint for last_post_id.
I hope it will not make things too slow. Are table constraints slower than
column constraints?

ALTER TABLE topic ADD COLUMN last_post_id INTEGER REFERENCES post ON DELETE
SET NULL;

--
Robert