RE: [HACKERS] mdnblocks is an amazing time sink in huge relations

From: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] mdnblocks is an amazing time sink in huge relations
Date: 1999-10-19 09:44:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:

[snip]

> > Deletion is necessary only not to consume disk space.
> >
> > For example vacuum could remove not deleted files.
>
> Hmm ... interesting idea ... but I can hear the complaints
> from users already...

My idea is only an analogy of PostgreSQL's simple recovery
mechanism of tuples.

And my main point is
"delete fails after commit" doesn't harm the database
except that not deleted files consume disk space.

Of cource,it's preferable to delete relation files immediately
after(or just when) commit.
Useless files are visible though useless tuples are invisible.

Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp