Ensuring data integrity with fsync=off

From: "Benjamin Arai" <barai(at)cs(dot)ucr(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Ensuring data integrity with fsync=off
Date: 2006-01-14 18:13:27
Lists: pgsql-performance

I have been working on optimizing a PostgreSQL server for weekly updates
where data is only updated once a week then for the remaining portion of the
week the data is static. So far I have set fsync to off and increased the
segment size among other things. I need to ensure that at the end of the
update each week the data is in state where a crash will not kill the
database.

Right now I run "sync" afte the updates have finished to ensure that the
data is synced to disk but I am concerned about the segment data and
anything else I am missing that PostgreSQL explicitly handles. Is there
something I can do in addition to sync to tell PostgreSQL exlplicitly that
it is time to ensure everything is stored in its final destionation and etc?

Benjamin