About debugging trigger

From: "Michael Su" <msu(at)cambian(dot)com>
To: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: About debugging trigger
Date: 2006-11-07 18:58:47
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi,

I have a question about how to insert standard output statement in trigger
for debugging purpose.

I have tried using the following:

* echo 'show debug message' ;
* echo "show debug message" ;
* print("show debug message");
* print('show debug message');
* dbms_output.put_line('show debug message');
* dbms_output.put_line("show debug message");

However, I got the following error message:

* ERROR: syntax error at or near "echo" at character 1
QUERY: echo 'show debug message'
* ERROR: syntax error at or near "print" at character 1
QUERY: print('show debug message')
* ERROR: syntax error at or near "dbms_output" at character 1
QUERY: dbms_output.put_line("show debug message")

I know that in Oracle, the way to insert standard output statement in
trigger is using dbms_output.put_line() method, but it doesn't seem to work
in pgadmin.

I have already checked the frequently asked questions list as well as the
pgAdmin documentation for a solution and I also have tried searching Google,
however I can not find a solution for it. Please help when you get a chance!

Thank you in advance,

Michael