Rule Creates Duplicates retry

From: "Martin Davidsson" <mhdavids(at)ncsu(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Rule Creates Duplicates retry
Date: 2003-02-18 17:57:12
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello,

[I sent this email off yesterday, but didn't appear to make it to the
list. Hope nobody gets this twice :(]

I have a rule that I've been trying to run against a certain table, but
it always spits out blank rows, in addition to the rows I want.

I have Apach logging to a postgresql 7.3 database with each parameter
seperated by a |. I then create a rule to seperate these logs into more
logical columns, like this:

create rule split_log as on insert to messyTable where message like
'%website.url%' do insert into cleanTable values (
split_part(syslogtb.message,' | ',1),
split_part(syslogtb.message,' | ',2),
split_part(syslogtb.message,' | ',n)
);

where n is the number of parameters Apache logs.

Without the rule, everything gets properly inserted into mesyTable. I
want to rule in place to seperate out the information. But the rule
produces a cleanTable that contains the expected stuff, but it also
contains duplicates of that stuff, and several empty rows. Is there any
obvious way to avoid either?

Thanks!

// Martin Davidsson