Insertion of index tuples are necessary ?

From: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "pgsql-hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Insertion of index tuples are necessary ?
Date: 2000-05-16 00:12:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

Under current non-overwrite storage manager,PostgreSQL always has
to insert index tuples corresponding to a new updated heap tuple even
when the key values are invariant. This is a big pain for frequently
updated tables. Can we omit the insertion when the key values are
invariant ? We could follow update chain of heap tuples since MVCC
was introduced.
In addtion we may be able to update heap-TID member of an index
tuple to the latest TID in the middle of index access without vacuuming.

Comments anyone ?

Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp