Re: could not bind IPv4 socket

From: Grzegorz Buś <gall(at)p-team(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "'Adrian Klaver'" <aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net>
Subject: Re: could not bind IPv4 socket
Date: 2009-05-04 11:24:13
Lists: pgsql-general

> > # cat /var/lib/pgsql/data/pgstartup.log
> > LOG: could not bind IPv4 socket: Address already in use
> > HINT: Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not,
> wait a
> > few seconds and retry.
>
> Did you heed the HINT and see if there is another instance of Postgres
> running?

As I wrote in my first message - for sure there is no other PostgreSQL
server instance nor any other application is using this TCP port. (I checked
with commands `ps -A | grep postmaster` and `netstat -plunt | grep 5432`):

# service postgresql stop
Stopping postgresql service: [ OK ]
# netstat -plunt | grep 5432
# ps -A | grep postmaster
# rm /var/lib/pgsql/pgstartup.log
rm: remove regular file `/var/lib/pgsql/pgstartup.log'? y
# service postgresql start
Starting postgresql service: [ OK ]
# cat /var/lib/pgsql/pgstartup.log
LOG: could not bind IPv4 socket: Address already in use
HINT: Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not, wait a
few seconds and retry.

Any other hints?

--
Kind Regards