Re: VACUUM hanging on PostgreSQL 8.3.1 for larger tables

From: "Paragon" <lr(at)pcorp(dot)us>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: VACUUM hanging on PostgreSQL 8.3.1 for larger tables
Date: 2008-04-13 22:02:12
Lists: pgsql-general

> Sure looks like a near-idle machine to me :-(.

> I think that the vacuum must be stuck on a lock. What other Postgres
processes have you got, and what are they doing?

> regards, tom lane

Originally I thought it was the autovacuuming getting in the way since I
noticed sometimes it was trying to vacuum the tables I was trying to vacuum
and autovacuuming was taking a long time, but I had turned autovacuuming off
during bulk load process period to prevent this. When I showed you the
stats on only the vacuuming, I had already stopped all bulk load processes
such that

Running
SELECT * FROM pg_stat_activity

Was showing nothing but my single vacuuming process.

If I vacuum say a 365,0000 record table of comparable structure to my 1
million someodd, it takes about 10 minutes to run and runs thru. 10 minutes
for 365,000 records seemed a little long to me from memory on 8.2, but at
least it ran thru okay.

Next I was going to try to do was load the same dataset on my old 8.2 box to
rule out 8.3.1 as the culprit.

Thanks,
Regina