Usability Question

From: Hill-Managementberatung(at)t-online(dot)de
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Usability Question
Date: 2005-11-27 19:46:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I have just started to have a look at Postgres for the first time (after
downloading version 8.1.0). What I read about it in the past weeks sounded
promising. As recommended I had shut down the firewall/virus checking
software on my developer machine during install. Never the less I received
an error message that the server could not be started already during the
installation procedure. Surprisingly after pushing okay I received the
message, that the installation has been completed successfully (and was
unsure if I can trust this statement). I then found the server running as a
service under WIN XP. I continued by using pdAdminIII and now often receive
a message basically saying that "the server was shutdown unexpectedly".
Reading through the FAQ and Online docs I found the comment that in most
cases virus protecting and/or firewall software causes this problem and the
recommendation to stop using or even to uninstall this software. It is hard
to believe that this is a serious advice. Is one really expected to quite
using antivirus/firewall software if one wants to use postgres? I would
imagine that this would be a knock-out criteria for the product not just for
me, but for a lot of people.

Thanks
Thomas