Last Inserted row.

From: "Kris Zawadka" <kris(at)h3x(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Last Inserted row.
Date: 2002-03-14 09:50:28
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-jdbc

I'm sure this must have been covered before but the search engine for
the mailing list is currently down and I couldn't find any help on the
web.

I would like to know if it's possible to return a data set after an
insert. In MS SQL it's quite easy to create a trigger that return's
information about the inserted record such as primary ID and so forth.
Using a Function & Trigger I can return the information with RAISE but
obviously PHP or any other language won't treat that as a row from a
result set.

I wish to perform this task at the trigger/function level for
abstraction reasons and want to avoid having to multiple select
statements for something that should be easily done in one.

Thanks for your help,

Kris Zawadka