Understanding the differences between Temporal tables, CDC and Time Series.

From: SQL Padawan <sql_padawan(at)protonmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Understanding the differences between Temporal tables, CDC and Time Series.
Date: 2021-11-10 06:43:01
Lists: pgsql-general

Good morning to everyone,

I'm looking into Temporal Tables (TT - i.e. System/Application time versioning) but I would like to understand the differences between TTs and two other features (which appear similar in many ways) - Change Data Capture and Time Series.

Are Temporal Tables (in a sense) a query framework framework around CDC?

And if that's the case, what then are Time Series - which are specifically designed to host (time) changing data?

Are Temporal Tables (again, in a sense) Time Series databases which only record changes in time(-stamps)?

I'm unclear as to the "philosophical" distinctions here and would be grateful if anybody could explain the diffence(s) between them?

I did look at this myself and found these posts on StackOverflow, but I don't feel as if they've fundamentally explained the difference(s).

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/39165412/why-we-require-temporal-table-in-sql-server-2016-as-we-have-cdc-or-ct

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/800331/why-do-we-need-a-temporal-database

Any ideas, discussion, references, URLs welcome.

Thx,

SQLP!

Sent with [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com/) Secure Email.