Re: pgsql: Ensure that a standby is able to follow a primary on a newer tim

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Fujii Masao <fujii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Ensure that a standby is able to follow a primary on a newer tim
Date: 2021-01-14 06:19:02
Lists: pgsql-committers

On 2021/01/14 14:23, Tom Lane wrote:
> Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com> writes:
>> On 2021/01/14 13:59, Michael Paquier wrote:
>>> florican is telling that this test has some stability problems:
>>> https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=florican&dt=2021-01-14%2003%3A55%3A45
>
>> My guess is that the requested WAL file was removed unfortunately by
>> checkpoint because no replication slot is used and wal_keep_size is not set.
>> So easy fix is to set wal_keep_size to 512MB or other in that test. Thought?
>
> florican did pass this test on the v13 branch, so I agree it's probably
> a timing issue not any deeper bug. Your theory seems plausible.

Thanks for the check!

So, barring any objection, I will push the attached patch that sets
wal_keep_size in the test.

BTW, I included the URL to Michael's report [1] in the commit log. But this
URL doesn't seem to work fine maybe because <message-id> part includes
a slash character.

[1]
https://postgr.es/m/X//PsenxcC50jDzX(at)paquier(dot)xyz

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Stabilize-timeline-switch-regression-test_v13.patch text/plain 1.5 KB
0001-Stabilize-timeline-switch-regression-test.patch text/plain 1.5 KB