Re: Use WALReadFromBuffers in more places

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nitin Jadhav <nitinjadhavpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jingtang Zhang <mrdrivingduck(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Use WALReadFromBuffers in more places
Date: 2024-06-12 16:40:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 8, 2024 at 5:24 PM Nitin Jadhav <nitinjadhavpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> I spent some time examining the patch. Here are my observations from the
review.

Thanks.

> - I believe there’s no need for an extra variable ‘nbytes’ in this
> context. We can repurpose the ‘count’ variable for the same function.
> If necessary, we might think about renaming ‘count’ to ‘nbytes’.

'count' variable can't be altered once determined as the page_read
callbacks need to return the total number of bytes read. However, I ended
up removing 'nbytes' like in the attached v2 patch.

> - The operations performed by logical_read_xlog_page() and
> read_local_xlog_page_guts() are identical. It might be beneficial to
> create a shared function to minimize code repetition.

IMO, creating another function to just wrap two other functions doesn't
seem good to me.

I attached v2 patches for further review. No changes in 0002 patch.

--
Bharath Rupireddy
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Use-WALReadFromBuffers-in-more-places.patch application/x-patch 3.1 KB
v2-0002-Add-test-module-to-demonstrate-reading-from-WAL-b.patch application/x-patch 21.5 KB