Re: Convert node test compile-time settings into run-time parameters

From: Ranier Vilela <ranier(dot)vf(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Convert node test compile-time settings into run-time parameters
Date: 2024-05-21 12:32:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Em ter., 21 de mai. de 2024 às 09:25, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
escreveu:

> On 20.05.24 15:59, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org> writes:
> >> This patch converts the compile-time settings
> >> COPY_PARSE_PLAN_TREES
> >> WRITE_READ_PARSE_PLAN_TREES
> >> RAW_EXPRESSION_COVERAGE_TEST
> >
> >> into run-time parameters
> >
> >> debug_copy_parse_plan_trees
> >> debug_write_read_parse_plan_trees
> >> debug_raw_expression_coverage_test
> >
> > I'm kind of down on this. It seems like forcing a bunch of
> > useless-in-production debug support into the standard build.
> > What of this would be of any use to any non-developer?
>
> We have a bunch of other debug_* settings that are available in
> production builds, such as
>
> debug_print_parse
> debug_print_rewritten
> debug_print_plan
> debug_pretty_print
> debug_discard_caches
> debug_io_direct
> debug_parallel_query
> debug_logical_replication_streaming

If some of this is useful for non-developer users,
it shouldn't be called debug, or in this category.

> Maybe we could hide all of them behind some #ifdef DEBUG_OPTIONS, but in
> any case, I don't think the ones being proposed here are substantially
> different from those existing ones that they would require a separate
> treatment.
>
> My goal is to make these facilities easier to use, avoiding hand-editing
> pg_config_manual.h and having to recompile.

Although there are some developer users.
I believe that anything that is not useful for common users and is not used
for production
should not be compiled at runtime.

best regards,
Ranier Vilela