Re: Add memory/disk usage for WindowAgg nodes in EXPLAIN

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add memory/disk usage for WindowAgg nodes in EXPLAIN
Date: 2024-09-06 13:51:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 6 Sept 2024 at 19:08, Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> The changes look better. A nitpick though. With their definitions
> changed, I think it's better to change the names of the functions
> since their purpose has changed. Right now they report the storage
> type and size used, respectively, at the time of calling the function.
> With this patch, they report maximum space ever used and the storage
> corresponding to the maximum space. tuplestore_space_used() may be
> changed to tuplestore_maxspace_used(). I am having difficulty with
> tuplestore_storage_type_name(); tuplestore_largest_storage_type_name()
> seems mouthful and yet not doing justice to the functionality. It
> might be better to just have one funciton tuplestore_maxspace_used()
> which returns both the maximum space used as well as the storage type
> when maximum space was used.

How about just removing tuplestore_storage_type_name() and
tuplestore_space_used() and adding tuplestore_get_stats(). I did take
some inspiration from tuplesort.c for this, so maybe we can defer back
there for further guidance. I'm not so sure it's worth having a stats
struct type like tuplesort.c has. All we need is a char ** and an
int64 * output parameter to pass to the stats function. I don't think
we need to copy the tuplesort_method_name(). It seems fine just to
point the output parameter of the stats function at the statically
allocated constant.

David