Re: Assertion failure with summarize_wal enabled during pg_createsubscriber

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Assertion failure with summarize_wal enabled during pg_createsubscriber
Date: 2024-07-10 21:01:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 3, 2024 at 1:07 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I think the problem here is that the WAL summarizer believes that when
> a new timeline appears, it should pick up from where the old timeline
> ended. And here, that doesn't happen: the new timeline branches off
> before the end of the old timeline, because of the recovery target.
>
> I'm not yet sure what should be done about this. The obvious answer is
> "remove the assertion," and maybe that is all we need to do. However,
> I'm not quite sure what the actual behavior will be if we just do
> that, so I think more investigation is needed. I'll keep looking at
> this, although given the US holiday I may not have results until next
> week.

Here is a draft patch that attempts to fix this problem. I'm not
certain that it's completely correct, but it does seem to fix the
reported issue.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-Fix-WAL-summarization-across-abrupt-timeline-swit.patch application/octet-stream 3.9 KB