pgadmin-support@postgresql.org <pgadmin-support@postgresql.org>

From: "Sutto Zoltan" <sutto(dot)zoltan(at)rutinsoft(dot)hu>
To: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pgadmin-support@postgresql.org <pgadmin-support@postgresql.org>
Date: 2003-02-14 12:42:48
Lists: pgadmin-support

After compiling , installing postgresql-server-7.3-2 on my Red Hat 6.2 box
when I'am trying to run psql I receive the following error message.

psql: FATAL: Missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file, see postmaster log
for details

Is there anybody could fix it?

Any help woudl be appreciated.

Thanx

Zoltan Sutto

The pg_hba.conf as follows.
# PostgreSQL Client Authentication Configuration File
# ===================================================
#
# Refer to the PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide, chapter "Client
# Authentication" for a complete description. A short synopsis
# follows.
#
# This file controls: which hosts are allowed to connect, how clients
# are authenticated, which PostgreSQL user names they can use, which
# databases they can access. Records take one of three forms:
#
# local DATABASE USER METHOD [OPTION]
# host DATABASE USER IP-ADDRESS IP-MASK METHOD [OPTION]
# hostssl DATABASE USER IP-ADDRESS IP-MASK METHOD [OPTION]
#
# (The uppercase quantities should be replaced by actual values.)
# DATABASE can be "all", "sameuser", "samegroup", a database name (or
# a comma-separated list thereof), or a file name prefixed with "@".
# USER can be "all", an actual user name or a group name prefixed with
# "+" or a list containing either. IP-ADDRESS and IP-MASK specify the
# set of hosts the record matches. METHOD can be "trust", "reject",
# "md5", "crypt", "password", "krb4", "krb5", "ident", or "pam". Note
# that "password" uses clear-text passwords; "md5" is preferred for
# encrypted passwords. OPTION is the ident map or the name of the PAM
# service.
#
# This file is read on server startup and when the postmaster receives
# a SIGHUP signal. If you edit the file on a running system, you have
# to SIGHUP the postmaster for the changes to take effect, or use
# "pg_ctl reload".

# Put your actual configuration here
# ----------------------------------
#
# CAUTION: The default configuration allows any local user to connect
# using any PostgreSQL user name, including the superuser, over either
# Unix-domain sockets or TCP/IP. If you are on a multiple-user
# machine, the default configuration is probably too liberal for you.
# Change it to use something other than "trust" authentication.
#
# If you want to allow non-local connections, you need to add more
# "host" records. Also, remember TCP/IP connections are only enabled
# if you enable "tcpip_socket" in postgresql.conf.

# TYPE DATABASE USER IP-ADDRESS IP-MASK METHOD

#local all all trust
host all all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 trust

# Using sockets credentials for improved security. Not available everywhere,
# but works on Linux, *BSD (and probably some others)

local all ident sameuser